Wednesday 25 March 2015

South East Asia Adventure... The Countdown!

24 days from today...  I will be flying out to Cambodia on my Emirates flight.  I will fly from Glasgow -->Dubai --> Bangkok --> Phnom Penh.  It's all starting to seem scarily real and the month since finishing work I had to get the final preparations ready is FAST diminishing!  So I thought I'd just post an update on how I'm getting along with my preparations and generally getting ready for going away! 

Over the past few months I've been keeping an eye out for suitable clothes to take with me.  I am very aware of the fact I am going to be living in a country with a completely different culture; where modesty is valued and therefore it's important for me to take clothes which respect this.  Particularly because I will be living on site at the orphanage as a teacher; it is important that I'm a role model for these children and someone they can respect.  

I also have to consider the climate in Cambodia, it will be SUPER hot and humid so loose, comfy clothes are a must. With all this in mind, whenever I've been in the shops I've had a browse along the sale rail for Summer clothes.  I'm doing this whole trip on a budget so of course I've only bought sale clothes.  I've also put my Ebay addiction to good use and purchased some real bargains on there as well. 



As you can see from the photo I've been pretty successful in my bargain hunting! I love a good rummage through sale rails!



The other night I also laid out all my clothes to see what I actually had and what I still have to get.  A lot of people have said don't take too much 'cause stuff will be so cheap to buy when I'm out there, but I only have one day in Phnom Penh before I go to the village where there is only a small market and a shop.  So I think I'm better to be prepared and I can always get extra out there.

The last clothing item I really need now is a bikini! So I will keep you posted with that! 



In addition to clothes, I also have a few teaching bits and pieces to take with me.  I ordered reward stickers from Ebay at really cheap prices (£2.85 & £1.74) both from the UK. I also got some really amazing bargains at B&M stores; I got a lined exercise book - for lesson planning, some stationary, coloured post-its and 4 English exercise books from ages 3-7 (I'm going to copy lesson ideas from these).  They're also super lightweight so won't take up too much weight in my bag. 

So that's some of my travel preparations! 

Are you travelling or volunteering abroad? Do you have any packing tips? Or maybe some teaching tips?  I'd love to hear from you, leave a comment or get in touch via my Twitter! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment