Sunday 19 April 2015

Packing Up & Setting Off - The Highs and Lows of a Long Haul Journey.

I MADE IT!!!

1 car journey, 3 flights (6 take off & landings), a mad dash through Dubai airport (including a ride on the airport train) and an even crazier taxi journey to my hotel, but I am now in Phnom Penh and what a city it is! 

 


Packing 

'Billy Joel'


What a dilemma trying to decide what the best type of bag to take would be.  Originally I was going to take Billy Joel - otherwise known as my red Tresspass 66L backpack I took interrailing with me in Europe; however after much deliberation it was decided that being a toploader it wasn't big enough, nor secure enough to take on this trip to Southeast Asia.  Instead I have opted for the Traveller 60 + 20L rucksack from Mountain Warehouse.  This is a travel pack and a really easy and more secure bag, here's why:

Mountain Warehouse 60+20L Traveler 


1. Being a travel pack means it has a side zip fastening and can be fully opened out (somewhat like a normal suitcase)  This makes it a heck of a lot easier to find your belongings as opposed to digging down a toploader bag! 

2. It has a 60L main compartment, but also a detachable 20L daysack.  This means it's multi-functional; the daysack can easily be zipped off and used for daytrips.

3. Security - There are three zipped areas which are padlock compatible.  So this means the bag can be kept nice & secure - but it's really more about deterring thieves and making it as difficult as possible for them.  It's mostly opportunistic theft in Asia as opposed to organised theft crime - so the padlocks help to put potential thieves off.  

4. Flight acceptable - many airlines can be fussy about letting rucksacks through check in that have loose straps; this is because they can become trapped in the conveyor belts and cause problems - the traveler 60 + 20 solves this problem by concealing the backpack straps behind a zipped flap.

5. As with most rucksacks and travel packs this one comes with a rain cover! 

Mountain Warehouse Rucksack Transit Bag (85L)

Since my bag was going on a long haul flight to Asia  - I decided to invest in a one of these as well! It completely covers the travel pack and is really neat; it has a handle and strap on the outside too.  If you're travel isn't taking you on a flight then I wouldn't bother with a transit bag, but for flying I think it's well worth investing.  When you've arrived it can be easily zipped away into its own little bag. I also padlocked this for extra security too.

There are various links on youtube and Blogger for any travelers who wish to make their backpack zips lockable.  Just google "how to make your travel backpack lockable."

  
 



The Flight

Glasgow --> Dubai --> Bangkok --> Phnom Penh
       Emirates -->Emirates --> Bangkok Airways



If you're a nervous flyer (like me) then this is the worst part of traveling! However, as far as flights go these were pretty good.  My flight from Dubai to Bangkok was on an airbus A380 complete with wifi! The Emirates service was impeccable and all the little touches like hot refreshing towels upon boarding and before landing make flying a little more bearable.  There's also a huge range of movies (include new releases) and some TV shows as well to watch on board.  On every seat there's a pillow and blanket too - so if that spares taking an extra layer it's a bonus! 

 All set! (*including Emirates headphones)



Food & drink on board is on constant supply: drinks, snacks, meals, more drinks, sweet treats, yet more drinks! I ordered a gluten free meal and as requested it was given to me.


 Vanilla Ice-cream sweet treat!


 About to board the Airbus A380

 About to board Bangkok Airways flight





My hotel in Phnom Penh provided a transfer upon request from the airport - my first experience on the roads in Cambodia was both thrilling & terrifying! Horns beeping galore, no traffic lights, free for all at "junctions" mopeds and tuk tuks everywhere! It is chaotic! But something about this chaotic city tells me I'm going to love it! 

Finally, BED!...



I hope you've enjoyed another one of my blog posts.  What bag do you swear by on your travels? Are you security conscious when flying? Have you been to Phnom Penh?

I'd love to hear all comments on my blog OR you can tweet me @Sc0tsGirl














No comments:

Post a Comment