Thursday 31 December 2015

No Stress Packing for a Ski Season!

Lets face it, no-one likes packing; it's a chore, a bore, a proverbial pain in the a**!  I managed to squish my life into a backpack for 5 months travelling in Asia and I've done it again for a season working in Chamonix, France.  This time, I have a full scale suitcase, a boot bag, ski bag and backpack, plenty space... piece of cake, right!? I wish!  The reality is, you have to pack for every eventuality, and all those cosy winter jumpers that I'm addicted to are super bulky.  I'd only put in half my ski wear and the suitcase was already looking pretty full - so, in a moment of genius, I decided vac-packs were the solution! My advice for packing for a whole ski season is plan, plan, plan!  Organise everything into categories and buy plenty of vac-packs, vanity cases or, if you're a pro, packing cubes.  Draw up a list; check it off as you pack things.  I used this Animal wheelie holdall with sandwich interior and mesh dividers.  It has approx 125 litre capacity and keeps everything really neat with the zipped compartments.  


Vac Packs: I got these from Poundland and 60x45 was a perfect size.  You can also pick them up from stores like Argos (or my fave Ebay!).




Ski Outfit No.1.  I think 2 ski outfits is perfect for a season - swap them around so they have time to dry.




The difference between vac-packed and not:




Vac-packing saves so much space!




Ski accessories: always good to have spare gloves in case they get ripped/wet.  I also wear silk liners 'cause my hands get super cold on the slopes! Disposable hand warmers are great for this too.




Thermals/base layers: 1 merino wool (Icebreaker), and one quick drying sports set (UnderArmour).




Sunnies! For Après on the slopes and when you get those bluebird days! I got this Hawkers pair: Carey, Daylight One. Tip: sign up to their Facebook for some great deals. 










Goggles! This Summit pair came with interchangeable lenses: blue for bright days and yellow for low light.  Keep the case, no-one like scratched goggs!







Another ski must for me are these gel shin pads.  Pressing forward in your boots is the right way to be, but it can be sore on the shins and leave them rubbed and bruised - these do the trick and are washable/reusable. (well worth the small investment) 




Footwear: Snowboots are a must, especially if, like me, you're out for the season.  I got this Nevica pair from Sports Direct at a really good price. 



















Toiletries: these can be super expensive on the mountain, so think carefully about what you REALLY use and stock up, otherwise you'll be sending a wish list home begging for an aid pack to be sent out!




2 things you might not think of , but I highly recommend: a hottie & a lint roller (great for all my black work clothes)




Fleeces: it's all about layering! It's worth investing in a high quality fleece that's super thin, but super warm. I prefer a full length zip too.  TK Maxx is good for good brands at cheaper prices. 




Trousers/leggings: so 9 pairs of these may seem excessive, but it's so casual in ski resorts that this will be all you wear.  Guaranteed though, it will be the same 2 pairs you live in all season!




A small bag for nights out is a good idea too & fleece lined leggings! 



All my tops ready for packing - shirts, light & heavier jumpers, vest tops and dressier tops.  I only packed 2 dresses for Christmas & New Year!




Vac Packed clothes fitting neatly into the case.  Socks and things easily fill the spaces round about.




The smaller zipped compartments are perfect for underwear!



Everyday socks & thicker ski socks. 






Suitcase all packed and ready to go!


So, there's some of my tips on packing for a Winter ski season! Follow my blog for more adventures in Chamonix!

Thanks, as always, for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment