Tuesday 18 August 2015

A Traditional Thai Fishing Village

Living and volunteering in a foreign country can definitely be challenging and I have my moments where I get frustrated by one thing or another; whether its my plethora of mosquito bites, the extremely laid back attitude to time (2pm means 5, or possibly 6pm!), or the incredible humidity that drenches me after I've just had a nice cool shower!  But on the other hand, volunteering in Pakpraekwitthayakom school has allowed me to integrate into the school community and experience a rural Thailand that the vast majority of tourists and backpackers never get to see.  I've been lucky enough to go on various day trips with Teacher Joy, Rachel and Bethan (the other volunteers) to places only local Thai people usually visit.

In this post I'll show pictures from a local fishing village community: Ban Koh Rad - it was a sleepy little community, with colourful houses, fish drying the sun, locals napping in hammocks in their doorways and chickens running around.  Strangely the smell reminded me of being at home by the seaside; a salty breeze blew in off the sea.  There were many traditional long - tail boats and their fisherman wore the Asian conical hats.  There was a small school, and a lot of the houses doubled up as tiny 'shops' selling shrimp paste and other local foods, you could walk round the entire village on the pathway and most of it looked out onto the sea while the rest wound between the little houses.  I could have spent all day there quite happily wandering and sitting down with a good book.





























































After the fishing village, we visited a temple called: Khaosuwanpradit Temple (Wat Luang Poh Choi ).























The temple was set at the top of a hill overlooking the sea and fishing village we had visited. 




Bonsai Tree











Local restaurant we stopped off in for lunch!











No comments:

Post a Comment