Monday 15 June 2015

A Khmer Wedding You Say... Why Not?!

When I planned my trip to Cambodia I wanted an authentic experience and to fully immerse myself in Khmer culture.  I feel that so far I have been lucky enough to do this; experiencing both good and bad this way.  However, if you asked me way back when I was still in the UK if I thought I'd have the chance to go to a Khmer wedding I wouldn't have ever imagined I would; but I have, and it was an experience I will always remember! 

The Doctor at the orphanage was getting married and along with some of the staff, including nannies, the nurse and the directors, us volunteers were also invited to attend the celebration.  In Khmer, wedding festivities and ceremonies usually last from 3 days to a week! I have been told that only close family attend the actual ceremony; whereas many family and friends are invited to the wedding party or reception.  

We each received beautiful wedding card invitations with our names on them.  As much as I think it's lovely we were invited to the wedding and able to be part of a traditional Khmer wedding reception - Westerners often are invited to weddings because they are thought to be wealthy and will give a large monetary gift in the money envelope! (provided inside the invitation card.)




One of the older girls from the orphanage took us to the local market to choose dresses to rent for the wedding and have them altered to fit.  The dresses are very detailed with lots of sequins and embellishment!  Certainly very different from what I would wear to a wedding back in the UK.


Phirom arranged a bus for us to Phnom Penh and it was arranged that we would get ready at his sister's house.  She welcomed us into her home and seemed so excited to have us.  It was lovely to see a Khmer home in the city; Phirom's sisters' house is at the back of her shop which sells fish - her home was immaculate and had lots of photos which were nice to see. 


Before we knew it, she had whisked us two doors down to a salon and we were the centre of attention having our hair and make-up done.  Everyone in the salon was fussing over us and I felt like a doll being all done up!  They even had fresh flowers to put in our hair!  I was told to close my eyes whilst they done my make-up; I was more than a little reluctant to do this, but I reluctantly obliged.  When I opened my eyes the first thing I saw were my eyebrows; they were HUGE! Part of me wanted to rub them off, but I decided just to embrace the Asian makeover they had given me! 







 







 


















 

The groom (Doctor) and his bride.

*Please note this photo is not my own.














No comments:

Post a Comment