Sunday 17 May 2015

A Paradise in Cambodia

Since I set the wheels in motion planning and researching this adventure here in SE Asia I have dreamed of visiting Koh Rong and it's beautiful Long Set beach.  A couple of weekends ago now, I was lucky enough to get to live out this dream and finally visit Koh Rong.  The expectations were high - I had looked at so many pictures and dreamed of the pure white sand and crystal waters of Long Set beach.  I simply had to see it!

This was a special weekend for me; I wanted it to be quiet and magical and have the time to just relax and appreciate the beauty of Koh Rong and Long Set.  I booked Treehouse Resort on Koh Rong and included in the price was the fast crossing speed boat.

Although a truly idyllic island paradise Koh Rong was different to how I had expected; I didn't realise that it's now home to the notorious Full Moon party along with various others.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good party as much as the next person, but so many of Asia's islands are being transformed into party havens for travelling Westerners that it seems a pity to tar them all with the same generic party rave brush!

Luckily Koh Rong still has another side to it - metaphorically and literally - the North coast of the island is where Tree House Resort is located and it's still a peaceful and natural retreat.  At Tree House Resort the bungalows and tree houses are made from bamboo and blend sympathetically into the jungle island.  Tree House Resort is also the closest to Long Set beach; however as I soon found out it still requires a good trek through the jungle to reach this beauty.  As I trekked through the rough jungle path I felt I could have been on Bear Grylls' The Island.  Koh Rong really is completely undeveloped and unspoiled.  Trekking in the sweltering heat I was beginning to wonder if I would ever reach Long Set and then I saw it... pure white sand stretching out in a long curved beach backed with palms and lush green jungle and the clearest translucent water lapping over it.  There was not another sole on the entire beach - if ever there was a definition of paradise this was it.

So, I did get to live out my dream of seeing Long Set beach, however it was in fact closed to the public due to the filming of  a Cambodian castaway TV programme. I couldn't believe it, but I wasn't going to let it spoil the moment - the security guards let me walk along the beach and take some photos, but then I had to return to the more popular Tui beach where most accommodations are located along with bars and a few small stores.  I still feel very lucky to have seen Long Set beach and walked along it in it's untouched state.  There are plans in the pipeline to develop Koh Rong and make Long Set beach into an exclusive resort for the rich and famous - whilst this may bring jobs for more local Cambodian's the romantic and nostalgic side of me wishes this hidden beauty could remain untouched in it's natural state for any curious and dreamy traveler like me to discover and enjoy.

If you're truly looking to get away from it all, go back to basics, relax and unwind with family, friends or someone special then Tree House resort is the place to go.  Whether it's a jungle, beachfront or treehouse bungalow they're equally special and completely unique.  The balcony's have hammocks and and are decorated with shells.  All electricity is run from a generator and lights are on from 5.30pm-10.30pm every evening.  The walkways between bungalows and the Tree House restaurant are light with little lanterns as is the bamboo bridge to the beach.  My standard bungalow for the night was $35 (high season) or $25 in the low season and $20 for the speed boat made it $55 in total which is pricey for many shoestring budget travelers; but for me it was an experience worth every penny.  I don't know when I'll return to Koh Rong, but I know for sure I will.

Tui Beach, Koh Rong
















Tree House Resort Bungalows




Many traditional Cambodain homes have basins of water outside to wash your feet in before entering - here it was good to wash off sand.






Jungle Path Trek to Long Set Beach



Long Set Beach - (closed to public for film production!)


Long Set Beach










No comments:

Post a Comment